September 26, 2010

Does the MLB playoffs need tweaking?

As the MLB regular season winds down, fans are watch a very tight race in the NL West and Wildcard, while watching a lackluster race in the AL East and Wildcard. Why is this? Because the spots are pretty much wrapped up, with the runner-up of the AL East getting the wildcard spot. This has led to a late season series between the Yankees and the Rays not as exciting to watch as it should be. While I’m not a fan of the MLB expanding its playoff teams to nearly have the league like the NBA or the NHL, I definitely think the MLB playoffs needs a change.

Here is what I think should be done with the MLB playoffs. Currently, 4 teams from each league make the playoffs: the 3 division winners and 1 wildcard. First, I think the MLB can cut its season down 10 – 20 games because 162 is a lot (bare with me here). Next, I think the MLB should take another wildcard team. Now that there are 2 wildcard teams, they should play a best of 3 series. Doing this allows the division winners a bigger incentive to go for the title and would prevent the situation of the Yankees and Rays resting their players.

I mention that the MLB should cut their season down 10 – 20 games because the MLB playoffs already take a long time and with the new added series, this will make up for that time. Doing this, I think will be more exciting for the players and fans. I think the players would like to see a chance to make the playoffs more rather than play 10 - 20 more games.


Bud Selig recently stated that the MLB would look into changes. This is just one of many options the MLB could take. It won’t fix PEDs or broken bats but it will bring a much needed change to the playoff race than what we are seeing now.

-TSM

No comments:

Post a Comment